If, like me, you have a veggie patch overflowing with Kale at this time of year, it's time to start thinking of some family friendly meals to use up all that goodness! While kale can be gritty or bitter, this recipe ensures the texture and flavour are appealing to even the fussiest of little ones! Like our Pea pesto, it also makes a quick and easy dip (without the peas), served with bread or raw veggie sticks.
Kale Pesto Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Ingredients: 200g of kale with stalks removed, 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves, 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, juice from half a lemon, salt and pepper to taste if being served to anyone over 12 months of age.
- Remove the stems from the middle of the kale, leaving the leaves only. Chop the kale leaves roughly.
- Place all fresh ingredients, in the blending bowl of the Babycook.
- Mix in 10 second increments until chopped into a paste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (for anyone over 12 months of age).
- Stir the pesto through cooked pasta and serve.
Et voila, bon appétit!
If your little one is a pasta-addict and you're looking to get more veggies into their diet, try introducing veggie pastas such as chickpea pasta or lentil pasta. Many toddlers will eat this like a normal pasta. They are usually found in the gluten free section of the supermarket.