With some toddlers getting fussier as they grow, it can often help to make their food look more interesting in quick and easy ways! Or even try naming their food something more appealing. We've used 'dinosaur trees' for broccoli, 'hulk smoothie' for green smoothies and turning veggie sticks into trains with wheels. This recipe involves turning eggplant rounds into faces with some simple veggies. Your little one might even like helping to make their own! If you are more adventurous/creative, you might even be able to make your little ones favourite animal.
Veggie Heads Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Ingredients: 1/2 eggplant, 1/2 zucchini, 1/4 cup peas, 1/4 sweet potato, handful of green beans for faces, 100g cannellini beans, 10-15 cherry tomatoes.
- Chop the eggplant into half a centimetre thick 'rounds' and set aside.
- Chop the rest of the eggplant, zucchini and sweet potato into triangle chunks of approx 1cm.
- Chop the ends off the green beans and cut in half.
- Half the cherry tomatoes.
- Place all ingredients into the steaming basket of the Babycook, except for the eggplant rounds. Fill to Level 3 and press steam. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat with some spray oil.
- Cook each eggplant round a couple of minutes each side until they soften.
- When the Babycook has finished steaming, reserve some of the veggies for the features of the face, and puree the rest in the Babycook mixing bowl using a small amount of the cooking liquid as required.
- Use the eggplant rounds as the 'head', top with veggie puree and then use the other veggies to make the face!
Et voila, bon appétit!
If your little one doesn't like the eggplant rounds, or for a change, you could use English Muffins for the base and call them 'pizza faces!'