A favourite meal on St. Patrick’s day is colcannon; an Irish potato recipe, a mixture of creamy mashed potatoes and usually kale or cabbage. This is a twist on the original recipe and suitable for babies from 4 months. It can also be served as a side dish to a main meal for the whole family.
Green Potato Mash Recipe
- Suitable from: 4+ month olds
- Preparation time: 2 min
- Cooking time: 15 min
- Ingredients: 1 potato, 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen), 1/2 cup broccoli
- Peel and chop the potato into cubes of approximately 1cm in size.
- Roughly chop the broccoli into chunks.
- Put the potato, broccoli and peas in the steamer basket of the Babycook.
- Pour water into the tank (level 3).
- Start the cooking process.
- When the vegetables are cooked, put it in the blending bowl, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Add small amounts of the cooking liquid reserved from the steaming process and blend to bring to the desired consistency. You may wish to use some of baby's usual milk instead of the cooking liquid if you prefer.
Et voila, bon appétit!
Make a double batch and freeze in multiportions. Then you will have it on hand to serve when baby is ready. You may even wish to mix this with other vegetable purees as they are introduced. If butter has been introduced, this makes the mash even tastier.