When introducing foods for the first time, the Royal Children's Hospital of Victoria suggest you start introducing only 1 or 2 new foods at a time so that your baby can learn about the flavour and texture of each new food. Simple purees with only one vegetable are a great place to start. Once you have introduced vegetables such as potato and carrot purees, you may then wish to create purees like this recipe that mixes both foods together to create a new flavour again. Another time, you may even try adding a third vegetable they have tried before to the puree mix. For more tips and ideas on introducing solid food to your little one, check out our Tips page and this blog post, A Guide to Starting Solid Foods.
Carrot and Potato and Purée Recipe
- Suitable from: 6+ month olds
- Preparation time: 4 min
- Cooking time: 15 min
- Ingredients: 1 carrot, 1 potato
- Peel and chop the potato into 1cm cubes.
- Peel the carrot and chop into pieces about the same size or smaller than the potato.
- Place all ingredients into the steamer basket of the Babycook.
- Pour water into the tank to level 3.
- Start the cooking process.
- Once cooked, tip the veggies into the blending bowl, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Add small amounts of the cooking liquid and blend to bring to the desired consistency.
- Et voila, bon appétit!
Looking to introduce more foods? Try stirring this puree through some well-cooked quinoa or cous cous.