These Vegetable and Cream Cheese Pancakes are perfect for babies and infants who are learning to self feed. Moving into winter, it is important that your child has vegetables in their diet to receive nutrients that deliver a range of health benefits such as fighting colds and flus. During the cooler months it's also proven that our body has to fight harder to keep itself warm, therefore we require more calories to produce energy. With this in mind it's important that growing children eat more calorie-loaded food. These Pancakes make a filling and entertaining meal. The mixture can also be made a day or two ahead of time and refrigerated to be pan fried when required.
Vegetable and Cream Cheese Pancake Recipe
- Suitable from: 15+ months old
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Makes: approx. 12 mini pikelets (mini pancakes)
- Ingredients: 1 egg, 140g flour, 1/2 cup baking powder, 250ml milk, 1 pinch of salt, 5g melted butter, 80 g zucchini, 1 piece of shallot, 1 pinch of garlic, 50 g cream cheese, 2 slices of ham
- Make pancake batter by combining the egg, flour, baking powder, milk, salt and melted butter into the Babycook mixing bowl. Blend until mixed
- Cut the zucchini into small pieces and chop up the shallot
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat
- Cook zucchini with shallot for a few minutes in the frying pan
- Mix the zucchini and shallot with cream cheese.
(Keep some zucchini on the side to have has a a healthy meal)
- Chop ham and mix with the zucchini and cream cheese
- Heat a pan, butter or oil and make a spoon of the pancake mix. Add one spoon of the zucchini and cream cheese and cover with another spoon of pancake mix
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side until bubbles appear on surface
Add some zucchini with the pancakes (pieces or mixed)
Et voila, bon appétit!
Many children will enjoy eating the pancakes warm without any sauces. If you would like to serve with a healthy topping add the leftover zucchini with a drizzle of oil and mix in Babycook to create a delicious liquid dipping sauce.