While the festive season is a great time for your little one to try a whole lot of new foods that they wouldn't normally eat, dessert can be a little tricky. Between the brandy cream, brandy custard, brandy butter and plum puddings, which are all full of Brandy, you may wish to create an alcohol-free mini-plum pudding for your little one. This recipe has the added benefit of also not having any additional refined sugars aside from the fruit, and is gluten and dairy free too. The best bit of all? These can be made entirely in the Babycook on the day or prepped beforehand, with the help of a Conservation Jar, designed for heating or cooking in your Babycook, or with a square of unbleached calico material if you want to go traditional!
Steamed Kids Plum Pudding Recipe
- Suitable from: 12+ month old
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ingredients: 1 egg, 25g butter (or nutelex if dairy-free), 1/3 cup flour (or gluten free flour), 35g raisins, 35g currants, 20g sultanas, 20g chopped prunes, 20g mixed peel, 1 tablespoon apple purée, 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice.
- Place all fruit into a mixing bowl and stir.
- Melt the butter (or nutelex) and pour into the fruit mixture.
- Add the egg, flour and mixed spice and stir through.
- Pour mixture to make three puddings into 150ml Glass Conservation Jars or 120ml Tritan Conservation Jars. Place the lid on the jars.
- Cook each pudding individually, by placing in the steaming basket of the Babycook.
- Fill with water to level 3 and then press steam!
- If serving immediately, ensure it has sufficiently cooled. If pre-prepped and serving later, re-heat to level 2 at serving time.
- Serve with custard or cream for an extra treat!
Et voila, bon appétit!
For a traditional twist, place a square of calico into a small bowl and spoon two large tablespoons into the calico, pressing down to make a round shape. Tie up with string and remove from the bowl. Place the pudding wrapped in calico into the steamer basket of the Babycook and cook on Level 3.
If serving to an adult, you may wish to add a splash of Brandy and a spoonful of brown sugar for extra sweetness.