For many toddlers, you can't beat a favourite book. They love re-reading the same one again and again. (Apparently rereading the same one mutiple times even makes the smarter!) In our house, as it is in many homes around the world, one of the favourites is Julia Donaldson's 'The Gruffalo'. The repetition and predictability is great fun to read, and there is often lots of talk about Scrambled Snake, Roasted Fox and especially Owl Ice-cream. After all this talk, we thought it was time we made our own Gruffalo crumble.
This recipe is refined sugar free, dairy free and can even be gluten free with the right oats and flour. Quick and easy to make, even with a toddler supervising, it makes not only a delicious meal but a a fun activity to do together as well.
Gruffalo Apple & Strawberry Crumble Recipe
- Suitable from: 12+ month olds
- Preparation time: 5 min
- Cooking time: 20 min
- Ingredients: 3 apples, 5-6 strawberries, 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup flour, 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of butter, pinch of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Core the apples and slice into pieces approximately 3-5mm thick.
- Put the apple slices in the steamer basket of the Babycook.
- Pour water into the tank to level 2 and start the cooking process.
- While the fruit is cooking, quarter the strawberries.
- Then, make the crumble, in a bowl - Combine the oats, cinnamon, flour, melted butter and maple syrup.
- Stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Once the Babycook has completed its cycle, lay the apple slices and strawberry chunks along the base of an oven proof dish, and top with the crumble mixture.
- Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Et voila, bon appétit!
Serve fresh as a dessert and finish it off with a re-read of the classic book, the Gruffalo.